New camera phones won't let you switch off that annoying camera shutter sound. This lets all the girls on the nude beach know you're playing paparazzi, scares the birds away when you try to shoot them with your camera out in the woods, and it's extremely annoying in classrooms, theatres, concert halls, museums, etc.
You can install cCam to make pictures without sound, but this program gives you way less options than the native camera application, and cCam doesn't shoot video.
But now that Symbian has been hacked you can make the built-in camera app quiet with a ROMPatcher add-on.
This add-on works on the Nokia N78, N82, N95, 6220 Classic, and most (all?) Nokias that have the file z:Sys\Bin\CamMojave.exe. It does NOT work on the Nokia 6120 Classic, E51, or any other phone that does not have z:Sys\Bin\CamMojave.exe. It doesn't work on old phones from before feature pack 1 either.
• Patch to make your camera shut up direct download link
• ROMPatcher (required to use the camera patch)
• This patch is discussed in the closed modding section of the Symbian Freak forum.
• alternative method for phones without CamMojave.exe
• alternative method for old S60 3rd ed. phones from before feature pack 1
• Check the camera sound label for ways to fight the camera shutter sound.
Monday, 12 May 2008