Symbian hack method HelloOX has its own site, and version 2.0 sets new Nokia firmware versions free that resisted the previous HelloOX versions, such as firmware version 30.0.33 of the Nokia N96, version 300.21.012 of the Nokia E71, and the previously unhackable Nokia N97.
HelloOX2 doesn't seem to work on the Nokia E51 firmware version 400.34.011.
HelloOX installs ROMPatcher on your phone, which you can use for a lot of things, including installing unsigned Symbian programs.
Just like previous versions, HelloOX2 needs to be signed with a "17 capabilities" developer certificate. You can also buy a signed version (US$5 as of July 27, 2009), but IMO that's an expensive way of getting a DevCert that other sites give away for free.
• HelloOX2 site
• HelloOX2 at Mobile Castle
• HelloOX2 discussion at Symbian Freak (login/signup required), the place for technical support questions
• how to get a free developer certificate to sign HelloOX and other programs
• list of Symbian 9.x phones and firmware versions that can be hacked
AUGUST 19, 2009 UPDATE: There's a new version of HelloOX2.
There's a thread from abgnokia on the Symbian Freak forum that explains how to hack your phone with MapDrives, ROMPatcher, and file browser X-plore. SetMeFree (see below) makes it a bit easier, and HelloOX2 is the easiest Symbian hack for phones that resist the old HelloCarbide hack, but if these methods don't work for you the manual MapDrives method may help you out.
This method may open up the "unhackable" Nokia 5630 XpressMusic a tiny little bit.
• MapDrives method on Mobile Castle
• MapDrives method on Symbian Freak (login/signup required)
• very limited Nokia 5630 XpressMusic hack on Symbian Freak (login/signup required)
SetMeFree is a bundle of MapDrives, ROMPatcher, and Y-Browser to hack Symbian phones that resist other hacking methods (but try HelloOX2 first). The bundled ROMPatcher patches are meant for S60 3rd ed. Feature Pack 2 phones.
Like all other hacks that appeared after HelloCarbide, you'll need to sign SetMeFree with a "17 capabilities" developer certificate.
• SetMeFree v1.00 on Mobile Castle
• SetMeFree discussion on Symbian Freak (login/signup required)
Some things you can do with a hacked phone
• install unsigned programs without having to deal with Symbian Signed
• change or remove your phone camera shutter sound
• customise your Active Standby screen
...and much more. Check symbianhack.site666.info for details.
Monday, 27 July 2009
Hackers versus Nokia 4-3: HelloOX2, SetMeFree, and the MapDrives methods open up phones that Nokia tried to lock down