Nokia PC Suite is about to die. Nokia Ovi Suite is meant to take its place.
Nokia Ovi Suite is a Jack of all trades that combines the functions of Nokia PC Suite, Map Loader, and Nokia Software Updater.
One program to do it all... sounds good in theory, but do you really want to launch a slow, overweight resource hog for a simple lightweight task like hooking up your laptop to your phone's internet connection, making a quick backup of your SMS messages, or installing a program on your phone that you've downloaded to your computer?
If the answer to the last question is yes, Ovi Suite may be for you. The latest update of the Ovi Suite beta test series adds installation of .sis and .jar files on your phone by simply doubleclicking them on your PC.
But Ovi Suite is still horribly slow, and it eats loooooots of memory. The latest test release improves things a little bit, but don't try Ovi Suite or PC Suite on your netbook if you don't have the patience of a monk.
Ovi Suite requires a screen resolution of at least 1024x768 pixels, which may be a problem for netbooks, minilaptops, and other computers with small screens. It shares PC Suite's requirement for Microsoft's .NET framework. It's unlikely that Nokia will make a Linux version, and it doesn't work under WINE either. Nobody knows if and when Mac support will be added.
Nokia still believes that everybody mails with Outlook, and keeps ignoring you if you use programs like Lotus Notes or Mozilla Thunderbird.
• the new Nokia Ovi Suite
• the old Nokia PC Suite
• trick to make Nokia PC Suite let you into the system folders of your phone memory
Alternatives for Ovi Suite or PC Suite:
• Linux programs with a little bit of PC Suite functionality
• DAO4Sync, a lightweight computer-to-phone-and-back synchronisation tool
• download maps for Nokia Maps with just a web browser
• backup options for hacked phones: access points, bluetooth devices, bookmarks, calendar, cookies, messages, notes, profiles, and T9 dictionary
• ActiveFile backs up and restores SMS messages much better than PC Suite
• Contacts Transfer backs up, restores, and transfers contacts including pictures and caller groups
Thursday, 3 September 2009